Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer for your Brownsburg Parks! Volunteering offers an opportunity for physical and social activity and a sense of purpose. Plus, by helping Brownsburg Parks, you are enhancing the quality of life for all Brownsburg residents. Thank you for helping to strengthen our community!
Benefits of Volunteering with Brownsburg Parks
- You play a role in advancing your community by helping in areas of need.
- You help Brownsburg Parks to provide the community with a variety of programs and events throughout the year.
- You have direct access to Brownsburg Parks to provide input on the services that you would like to see offered or feedback on programs that are currently being offered.
- You help to create community pride toward the park system.
Use the form below to sign-up for volunteer opportunities.
Volunteer Application Process
1. .Use the form to determine your area of interest.
2. We will contact you to discuss available opportunities and your interests. Some volunteer positions require the completion of a background check form. (Background checks require renewal on an annual basis.) Final volunteer placement is dependent upon passing the background check.
3. Every volunteer will be required to attend an orientation (either online or in-person) to go over the volunteer handbook and learn about their job functions.
Please allow up to two weeks for the selection process to be completed.
Our team will work diligently to find you a volunteer opportunity that both meets your level of interest and fulfills our existing needs
Blast Off 2.0 Community Renovation
If you’re new to town, you may not know that Blast Off was built thanks to the hard work of a group of moms. The women recruited more than 300 volunteers to build the structure over a five-day period. They also included the feedback of elementary students in the playground’s design.
With this legacy in mind, in late October we’re kicking off Phase 1 of Blast Off 2.0 to make repairs in priority areas and add new features. We’re seeking 10-15 volunteers per day over a five-day period.
Current Volunteer Projects
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Weed Wrangle® 2021-2022
Weed Wrangle® is part of a national effort to remove invasive plants from public spaces. Brownsburg Parks is partnering with Southern Indiana Cooperative Invasive Management and Hendricks County Invasive Management Cooperative to remove invasive plants.
Interested volunteers must be comfortable using power tools and chemicals such as herbicides. Volunteers ages 13-17 must be accompanied by an adult. All volunteers are encouraged to bring work gloves, but all other safety gear will be provided by Brownsburg Parks. Masks are required when unable to social distance.
Large groups interested in volunteering with this project can reach out to Natural Resources Supervisor Joe Sakhong at email@example.com to register.
- November 6 at Williams Park
- December 11 at Williams Park
- January 8 at Arbuckle Acres
- January 22 at the B&O Trail
- February 5 at Williams Park
- February 19 at the B&0 Trail
- March 5 at Williams Park
Additional Volunteer Information
Eagle Scout Projects
Thank you for choosing Brownsburg Parks as a potential organization and location to complete your Eagle Scout project.
To be considered, please complete the proposal packet (link below). You may drop it off at our office at 402 E. Main Street, Brownsburg, IN 46112.
Your project must be based around our current park priorities including:
• Trail Marking, Mapping and Identification.
• Nature Trailblazing (new trails)
• Picnic Tables (new/rehab)
• Bat Houses
• Streambank/Riparian Area Restoration
• Natural Resources Management (tree planting, invasive species eradication, erosion control, etc.)
• Blast Off Playground Rehab
• Park Beautification (landscaping)
If your proposal is accepted, you will meet with the Community Engagement team to discuss project expectations, timeline and fundraising expectations. You also will present your project idea to the Brownsburg Park Board for approval. Keep in mind the quality of materials and workmanship must match the desired outcome of Brownsburg Parks’ Strategic Master Plan.
Written project proposal must be submitted to Brownsburg Parks before Scout turns 17.
Is your organization looking for a way to give back to the community? We have a wide range of activities perfect for businesses, community organizations and school groups.
If interested in scheduling a group project, please contact Meghan Stritar, the Recreation Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer Safety Guidelines
As a volunteer, your safety is our priority. Please review and follow these safety guidelines:
• If asked to perform a task you believe is unsafe, it’s okay to say, “No.”
• Do not use equipment without first being trained on its proper use.
• When operating electric or gas-powered tools, use eye and ear personal protection equipment.
• Carry tools safely!
• If working in a group, let your supervisor/leader know of any health or emergency needs you may have, such as allergic reactions to insect bites or plants.
• Avoid overexertion. Take a rest break when needed and drink plenty of water.
• Use sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat to protect against the sun.
• Wear clothing that is appropriate to the task, such as long sleeves and pants when pulling weeds to avoid thorns or poison ivy. Wear closed-toe shoes, not sandals or flip flops.
• Be careful where you step, as some park properties may have slopes, slippery footing or holes.
• Use proper posture when lifting heavy objects by bending at the knees, not at the waist.
• Do not overfill litter bags.
• Do not pick up hazardous items (animal carcasses, needles, condoms). Report the location of such objects to a Parks employee.
THANK YOU for your volunteer efforts to enhance our parks and trails!