Grounds Laborer I
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed in this document are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employee serves as a Grounds Laborer in the Operations Division of the Town of Brownsburg Parks and Recreation Department, assisting the Natural Resources Supervisor with the implementation and management of natural resources programs, standards and projects throughout the Parks System.
- Under the supervision of the Natural Resources Supervisor, this position will primarily be responsible for performing the following assignments and tasks, including but not limited to:
- Assist with general maintenance tasks of pollinator gardens, rain gardens, trails, prairies, wetlands, woodland and other maintained areas.
- Cutting limbs, removing fallen trees, pruning, trimming, mulching, blowing and raking leaves and debris.
- Removing invasive or undesirable vegetation.
- Clearing access areas on trails, paths, and parking lots using loppers, gas-powered trimmers and blowers.
- Mixing and applying herbicides.
- Planting and watering trees, shrubs and flowers.
- Assist with installations of native landscapes.
- Assist in updating and maintaining tree inventory.
- Assist and help coordinate volunteer work projects.
- Employee operates a variety of hand/gas-operated tools, such as weed eaters, chain saws, riding lawn mowers, shovels, picks, pneumatic tools, and vehicles, including tractors, excavation equipment, wood chippers and trucks.
- Assist with the implementation of programs to assure protection of vegetative communities against insects, pests, plant diseases and fires through proper control and prevention operations.
- Responds to concerns, problems or complaints in a timely manner; maintaining a customer service philosophy that is responsive while striving to improve park conditions and safety.
- Occasionally will report to Park maintenance staff and assist with general park maintenance including but not limited to:
- Assist in the daily operation, maintenance and upkeep of grounds of the Department.
- Assist the Grounds Laborer II in the daily operation, maintenance and repair of the Watermill Splash Pad.
- Responsible for maintaining grounds by picking up litter and debris, cutting grass, weed eating and general cleanup.
- Responsible for, depositing, and packing trash and recycling materials, debris, grass, brush and other refuse into collection vehicles.
- Responsible for checking park properties and facilities for vandalism, broken glass, graffiti, broken amenities and equipment and other potential hazards to the public.
- Thoroughly cleans restrooms, stocks supplies, checks restroom to make sure everything is in working order (sinks, toilets, hand dryer, baby changing stations, etc.).
- Makes minor repairs (plumbing, carpentry, electrical) to park restrooms, shelter houses, picnic tables, and other park structures and facilities.
- Assist with special event setup and tear down.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Be working towards a degree in parks and recreation, natural resources management or related field; and have a minimum of 1-2 years of related experience; or a combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of Midwest flora and trees, natural communities, basic ecological principles and natural areas management principles preferred.
- Must have and maintain a verifiable Indiana Driver’s License, a demonstrated safe driving record, and must remain insurable through the Town’s liability insurance carrier.
- Must have general computer knowledge with experience in Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Must have basic knowledge of standard English grammar, spelling, and punctuation and ability to understand information from various sources and communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Must have a safe work record with good ethics and dependable attendance record.
- Must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move, with assistance, more than 80 pounds with the use of Personal Protection Equipment.
- Must be able to work independently and to complete daily activities according to work schedule.
- Must be able to work weekends and/or evenings during peak times.
This position will be subject to the rules, policies and operating procedures established by the Town, as they may be amended from time to time.
6922 Lucas Drive, Brownsburg, IN 46112
Parks, Operations Division
$13 -$15 DOE