Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Performs a variety of maintenance work in parks and facilities including, but not limited to, drainage systems, trail bridges, culverts, fences, gates, shelters, restrooms, playgrounds, outdoor aquatics facilities, buildings, and dog parks.
- Participates in construction and maintenance of parks and facilities which may include, but not limited to, carpentry, painting, electrical, HVAC, and plumbing tasks, trail maintenance, landscaping, turf lawn, and irrigation system installation and maintenance.
- Provides general oversight and training to seasonal and part-time staff; reviews completed work to ensure quality and completeness; provides input to supervisor on staff performance.
- Evaluates assigned work projects including materials and staff resources needed to perform work; estimates time, materials, and equipment necessary for successful completion of a project; acquires necessary resources as appropriate.
- Inspects parks, facilities, restrooms, and playgrounds for safety and security; identifies and reports hazardous conditions and facility maintenance needs to supervisor.
- Assists in application of pesticides, insecticides, and fertilizers; ensures compliance with Department’s Integrated Pest Management plan and best practices.
- Works closely with supervisor to develop, implement, and evaluate preventive and planned maintenance plans for Department including, but not limited to, trails, parks, facilities, public spaces, playgrounds, shelters, and restrooms.
- Recommends policies and procedures concerning park and facility maintenance and other park projects based on priority, interest, and available funding.
- May serve as Department’s representative with external organizations; attends and/or speaks at public meetings, community events, professional functions, and conferences, as assigned.
- Maintains records and prepares a variety of operational and business reports and associated correspondence.
- Responds to concerns, problems, and/or complaints in a timely manner, maintaining a customer service philosophy.
Supervisory Participation & Control: This job has limited employee supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty according to the requirements of the Town of Brownsburg. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Education and/or Experience: Associate’s Degree (A.A.) or equivalent from a two year college or technical school in facility management, parks administration, natural resources, or other related field; and three years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Previous experience working in municipal government is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating park and facility maintenance.
- Ability to perform skilled labor including carpentry, plumbing, electrical, painting, and HVAC.
- Ability to obtain required certifications/licenses as outlined by Department standards.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- Resourceful and creative.
- Analytical skills and problem-solving ability.
- Must exhibit professionalism and be effective working with public, vendors, and employees.
- Skillfully convey information on a wide range of topics to a diverse target audience.
- Influencing and consultative skills are critical.
- Proficient with commonly used office software, including but not limited to: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, as well as telephone and internet communications.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Effective prioritization and time management skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure, deadline driven environment.
- Strong initiative to strive for continuous accuracy, quality, and timeliness of information.
- Ability to build and maintain effective relationships through strong interpersonal skills with emphasis on relationship-building and consistent demonstration of solid professional judgement.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously.
- A genuine commitment to quality on behalf of the Town while building a culture committed to excellence is mandatory.
- Must have and maintain a verifiable Driver’s License, demonstrated safe driving record, and remain insurable through the Town’s liability insurance carrier if applicable.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently will stand; walk; and lift and/or move up to 50 pounds without an assistive device (greater weights may be required with the use of an assistive device). The employee occasionally will climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less), distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more), color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors), peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the left and right while eyes are fixed on a given point), depth perception (three-dimensional vision, ability to judge distances and spatial relationships), and the ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus).
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities
This job operates primarily in the general community with moderate safety/health hazard potential. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud. However, job duties will require employee to perform skilled labor with high safety/health hazard potential.
While the role follows a work schedule of 7AM to 3:30PM, Monday through Friday, this job may require work beyond these hours which may include nights, weekends, holidays, and on call status. Frequent in-town travel will be required.