Brownsburg UDO Review Process
The Town of Brownsburg is working on updates to the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO). The UDO specifies how projects get built. It contains regulations on structure height and size, landscaping type and quantity, and parking space numbers and size, among other items. Town staff is in the process of revising these regulations to bring them up to date, to remove errors and inconsistencies and to make the document more user friendly.
The town staff has initiated the process of updating the UDO to simplify, streamline, and clarify sections in the current development code. To kick-start the process, a working group was engaged, and a consultant was hired to help draft new ordinance language. Significant background work has already been done, and staff and the Advisory Plan Commission have worked through many details to arrive at the draft available today.
Please take some time to look through the Draft Unified Development Ordinance (PDF) and give us your thoughts.
About the Project
The pages linked below highlight some changes and provide comparisons between current and existing districts.
- Unified Development Ordinance Update Part I – This provides an overview of what a UDO is, a comparison of the existing and proposed map, residential district standards, and a broad overview of other major chapter changes.
- Unified Development Ordinance Update Part II – This provides a comparison on the commercial, industrial, and special districts, additional information on landscaping, and more of a discussion on signs.
UDO Open House – Virtual Stations
Use the links below to view the boards presented at the meeting and take the surveys to provide feedback.
General Overview Boards
- General Overview Board (PDF)
- Local Topics Shaping the UDO Draft (PDF)
- District Names Existing and Proposed Overview Board (PDF)
Residential Districts Topics
The following boards provide an overview of proposed changes to residential districts. Please review the boards and take the survey below to provide feedback.
Architectural Topics and Other Commercial/Industrial Updates
The following boards provide an overview of proposed changes to architectural standards. Please review the boards and take the survey below to provide feedback.
Residential Architecture Board
The map below will allow you to search for an address and toggle the existing and proposed zoning layers on and off. You can open the legend icon in the bottom left corner, view layers to turn on and off using the icon in the bottom right corner, and search for an address in the top right corner.
Staff and the consultants have made every effort to make sure uses are in an appropriate zone in the proposed UDO. If you find that your property may have been placed in a zone where the use of it does not work, or want to submit other feedback on your property, please submit your feedback through the online form.
- Kick-off Meeting - December 2022
- Steering Committee Meeting 1 - February 2023
- Initial Draft of UDO distributed to Steering Committee and Working Group - March 2023
- Steering Committee Meeting 2 - mid-March 2023
- UDO & Zoning Map draft distributed to Steering Committee and Working Group - April 2023
- Steering Committee Meeting 3 - late April 2023
- Advisory Plan Commission Work Session - July 2023
- Advisory Plan Commission Work Session - September 2023
- Public Open House - Monday, November 6 (6-8 PM), Eaton Hall
- Advisory Plan Commission Public Hearing – Zone Map – April 22, 2024*
- Advisory Plan Commission Public Hearing – Unified Development Ordinance Text – May 29, 2024*
- Town Council First Reading – Summer 2024*
*These project milestones are tentative and may need to shift to later dates. They will be re-evaluated at the February Advisory Plan Commission meeting and adjusted accordingly.